Friday, October 3, 2008

School days

I went in for my first day of practicum in the class I will be student teaching in. Wow. Kindergarten is just like 7th grade only they are not learning the same things. It is an interesting mix of students. The age range is comical, there is a 4 year old almost 5 and a 6 year old almost 7. According to the teacher none of these students have had preschool. So they are learning that you do not hit people, spit on them, say bad words, call each other names, kiss the hallway, touch others, line up etc...

I have a couple ideas I hope I can get my host teacher hooked on for some classroom management. But so far I have to say I love it! The children are interesting and lively and I am definitely looking forward to working with them. I also like my host teacher she's very energetic and patient with her students. We also have some runners. I think it will be nice for her to have me around for two quarters helping her and it will be a nice break for her when I student teach.

The students were certainly very interested in me and what my role is and I think they know that I am like a second teacher. My only concern is that I do not want to over step my boundaries in terms of "her" classroom. I know there are some possessive teachers out there and I do not want her to resent having me there. But so far so good we are pretty good at communicating with each other.

Well off to do some housework (which is never ending with a child like Garrett...)

1 comment:

Paul and Susan said...

That is exciting that you are actually in the classroom getting to try out the things you have learned. Sounds like you have a challenging class to help out with. Let us know how it goes!